Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Junk and treasure*

A friend of mine recently had his mother move out of her flat into a retirement village.  She basically took her clothes and left, echoing the exit of a jilted lover who couldn’t get out of there fast enough.  In her hasty exit she left a lot of her ‘treasured’ possessions behind and you know what they say about the meaning of one mans treasure to another man.

As witness to the chaos that she left behind the clutter and rubbish kept for who knows what purpose (how many lidless tupperwear can one person keep?).  I’ve begun to examine my bounty of treasure, which I can identify as junk.  Stuff I’ve collected and kept from primary school, posters inside my cupboard (removed from the outside about 4 years ago) that no 24 year old girl should still be hanging onto, to further intensify this creep factor, I have a box FULL of Princess Diana Scrap books (about 6 of them) compiled by me from the age of 6 until about 16.  Its time to get rid of the junk!

I don’t use it and it will be of use to no one.  In throwing out my clutter I will be saving my family the terror of having to sort through my junk and throw it away themselves if I die.  I don’t have space for it and if I had to move to Tristan da Cunha I would not waste the money on shipping it with me.  Should this situation arise I’d tell my mom to throw it away, so I might as well save her the effort and do it myself.

I’m prepared enough to leave a sealed envelope with my email, banking, facebook details and request of songs I’d like to be sung at my funeral – I’ve never claimed to be normal, I know I’m odd.  So might as well limit the amount of stuff they need to sort through should the need to open that envelope arise!

Seeing how much junk other people live amongst is cathartic to propel you to get rid or yours! 

1 comment:

  1. Would you be willing to reveal a song or two from that request list? It's just... I wonder how you envision your own funeral. I mean - are the songs you chose meant to be representative of yourself in some way? Perhaps "reminiscent" would be a better word, considering.

    ReplyDelete