Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Creativity

YAY its Christmas, normally I don't feel Christmasy, thats probably because living in the southern hemisphere with summer, and Christmas songs are all about snow I cant relate my experience to the carols and snow songs.  Being blessed enough to spend the wind up to Christmas in the states I have a natural taste of the Christmas spirit.


Que the Christmas decorations...


Justin being le bachelor doesn't have any Christmas decorations, he has to work on the 25th and cant go home for Christmas.  Its bleek, as a parting gift I rustled up a garland, decorations, spent 2 days cutting out snowflakes and got busy on Friday (infact this time last week - sad nostalgic face) with decorating.


I fashioned the garland into a tree (it came with lights - so very much a 2 birds one stone), place it in a tin that had a snowman embossed on the front, strung my popcorn string (which lead to a series of pricked fingers) around it, and hung silver, clear and white ornaments on the tree.


I however had forgotten to buy an angel or a star, with no time to run out and purchase one I was left to improvise.  Justin, a dog lover at heart, and me equipped with a printed photo of Lando our basset hound.  When 1+1=2 Lando would be the perfect angel for the tree.  It was very makeshift, a toilet roll with a window cut in it and the white toilet paper as draping around the roll, a hair clip fashioned into a halo.  The angel, a unique Justine original was ready to be put on the top of the tree.








Looking at the tree there was something missing, it looked very stark and bare with the white wall behind it.  Looking around the room and seeing the box of wrapping paper with blue and silver bows - "perfect" I thought.  Equipped with tape which I stuck to the ceiling and proceeded to stick the bows on.  (It looks a little tacky in this picture but the effect in life is really awesome)


I also bought Justin a stocking and found a badge/pin/button with the letter J on it, there we go personalised Justin stocking.


My decorations didn't stop there - I mentioned my marathon snowflake cut out sessions.  Here you have it on the sliding glass doors into the sun room aka bedroom.  And those little black balls hanging in front of the blinds, they were part of the Christmas ball pack, but I couldn't put black decorations on the Christmas tree, it just seemed to morbid.  But they work well here; the balls are matt, glossy, sequined and some have snowflakes printed on them.




Waiting for Justin to come home - hearing the key in the door, I yell "STOP you cant come in."  A dejavu moment from 4 days earlier when I was sitting on the floor with all the decorations and his gifts on the floor and he came home early and I yelled "STOP! STOP! STOP! DON'T COME IN! DON'T COME IN! WAIT OUTSIDE THE DOOR!"  as I hastily packed everything away, and then let him in, it was VERY VERY funny!


After a week of planning and plotting and being sneaky, Justin seemed pleasantly surprised, he know I was up to something but was not sure what it was.




It came together really nicely I was pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment