Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gettysburg

Following our breezy walk out to the Potomac falls Justin and I got back into the car and debated over what we should do next.  We decided whatever activity it was should be kept to spaces that are warm and sheltered from the cold weather.  Justin suggested we drive to Gettysburg to the battle fields, a great idea and an expedition that can be enjoyed from the comfort of our heated Toyota.

Driving up to Pennsylvania the sun breaking through the clouds at the battle fields was beautiful.  This is the best photo fuse Microsoft would award me, there is a 3rd picture but MS is adamant that the images cannot be aligned.







The Gettysburg battlefields are a 24 mile car tour marking 3 days of battle the Confederates and Union troops battled against each other in July 1863.  Thats pretty much all I can tell you even reading the information brochure from the battlefields has me thinking 'which side is that now?'  All I can tell you is that a lot of people died and (I might stand corrected) the Union soldiers pushed the Confederates back towards Virginia.



On top of Cemetery Ridge.






Devils Den, where Justin states, "the rocks make it possible for close hand to hand combat".




At devils den, behind me is Cemetry Ridge where the previous photos were taken.  Imagine if you will hundreds of soldiers rushing up that hill to get away from 'their enemies'; its relatively steep and leaves you open to be live target practice.  Its grim but I'm trying to paint a picture for you.









The road trip home - unforunately I missed the prettiest part of the sunset.  But it really was a beautiful crisp day.


Suggested by the Gettysburg museum if your interested in the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment