Monday, December 6, 2010

Written in Stone - Teddy Roosevelt Island Quotes

Looking at my Teddy Roosevelt post, I realised I should have included the text as to what it says on the stones.  Words that I found insightful and encouraging, my knowledge of US presidents is very limited and any image I have of Teddy R is defined by Robin Williams' portrayal in night at the museum - yes I acknowledge this might be sacrilegious to some and I beg your forgiveness.  Now to move past my Hollywood brain washing and read the insightful words of Teddy R.

Youth
I want to see you game boys, I want to see you brave and manly and I also want to see you gentle and tender.
Be practical as well as generous in your ideas.  Keep your eyes on the stars but remember to keep your feet on the ground.
Courageous hard work, self mastery, and intelligent effort are all essential to successful to life.
Accept the nation and the individual, the one indispensable requisite is character.

Manhood
A man’s usefulness depends upon hi living up to his ideals as so fas as he can.
It is hard to fail but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
All daring and courage all ironed endurance of misfortune make for a finer and nobler type of manhood.
Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die, and none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy of life and the duty of life.

Nature
There is delight in the hard life of the open.
There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm.
The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased and not impaired in value.
Conservation means development as much as it does protection.

1 comment:

  1. I've just been visiting the island. Thanks for posting the quotes. I have one minor correction. My photograph of the Nature quote shows that it refers to the "hardy life," not the "hard life" of the open.
    Also, in the Youth quote, it should finish with "Alike for the nation and the individual..." Again, thanks for posting. I only managed to discern the corrections by zooming way in on my photos, but your quotes helped me sort them out.

    ReplyDelete