Saturday, November 6, 2010

#1 Yosemite look out points, 26 October 2010

Getting ready to leave Yosemite and all its beauty, I requested a stop at the overlook we had visited the day before, because I was not satisfied with the quality of pictures.  We drove back up to the look out, most of our Yosemite drives consisted of me sticking my hand out the window trying to get in action shots of the scenery as it whizzed past.  Actually most of our driving through California had me arm out the window camera in hand.

Lets get ready for some last day scenery from Yosemite.

Bridal Veil Falls again


The tunnel at the look out point, tunnels were an intricate and vital part of the trip as you will see in the Oct 29th blog.


The view from the tunnel consists of El Capitan, the rock formation to the left and Bridal Veil Falls, to truly appreciate El Capitan (the rock and not my alias for Justin) In this section I'll include photos of it from different angels.







El Capitan the Captain
El Capitan is one of the largest Monoliths in the world.  Bill gave an apt description of Yosemite, having gone to an exhibition on the history of the valley he said "You'd expect to see the park meaning different things to different people at different stages, but all the images expressed the same thing 'WOW, look at those BIG DAM ROCKS'"


Driving up to Glacier point, another spectacular look out, we came past a section of the valley where there was some low lying cloud cover - I cant tell you enough or find any other words to say that Yosemite is magnificent.


 A look out called something to the effect of Wispy Tail, or Wind Hollow something or other, I'm going to stop because I cant remember the name of this look out, but the mountain to the left is Half Dome, a Yosemite legend people hike up and frequently fall off and die.  The water falls are Verna and Nevada falls, I would be lying if I tried to tell you which was which, so I won't.








Glacier point was a terrifying look out point, sheer drops into the valley below, it freaked me out something fierce.  My phobia of heights was realised here, clammy hands, vertigo, just thinking about it now gets adrenaline pumping and my hands and feet start tingling. In the picture below you'll note how far away I am standing from the edge.



That being the end of Yosemite, mountains and waterfalls our next leg will take us to the Red Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment