Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The turkey virgin diaries entry 1 - Defrost the turkey.

Tuesday, 2 days before Thanksgiving, I've printed my recipes, done grocery shopping and Justin has bought everything from cooking utensils, to roasting pans and serving plates and a dish rack, baring some last minute shopping which we will tackle tomorrow we're ready.

My turkey line up looks like this...
Tue - defrost turkey 1 day for every 4 pounds of bird, its a 5 1/2 pound bird.
Wed - brine the turkey
Thur - cook the turkey

Here we go I took the turkey out of the freezer at 8 o'clock this morning, ready for it to get it's defrost on.  At 4 o'clock this afternoon it was still frozen solid, no semi-squidgy poultry but rock hard ice bird.  This is when panic sets in, oh my gosh what if its not fully defrosted and then it doesn't have 24 hours to brine oh my gosh what will I do?  Back to my Martha Stewart cheat sheet, she says its okay to defrost the turkey in the microwave so here it is in the microwave (which is not on) for 3 hours and we have a semi squidgy bird!

Here it is the central theme of  these blogs, the turkey, defrosting on its rack!


Now we cross our fingers and hope for the bird to be fully defrosted by tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment