Monday, November 8, 2010

My terror realised, the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco - 29 October

Upon leaving San Francisco in 2008 I told the city I would come back with a goal of walking out to the south  tower of the Golden Gate Bridge and to go to Alcatraz - I achieved the aforementioned task of the two and let me tell you it was terrifying.





So we begin, my memories of the 2008 trip were, the bridge bounces up and down with the traffic and the walkway is semi detached from the actual bridge.  My task looming before me!


  
I grab onto Justin at what I deem is a comfortable grasp (only later to be informed that my clasp was somewhat tighter than what one would deem comfortable).  I think, the bridge is not bouncing and I cant see the water through the street side - this is going to be okay, I must have imagined the separation and bounciness.

We set out and the distance from the walkway to the ground and then the water below keeps getting further and further away - I'm freaking out, this was a bad idea!

As we approach the south tower, Justin goes off to take photos and I 'casually' lean up against the south tower.  Completely calm and at ease - hmmm*


Justin tells me - stand there and I'll take a photo of you!  Ummm I don't think so - the wind blowing quite fiercely could blow me over the edge of the bridge.




As elated as I look to have achieved my personal goal - that look is sheer terror as you will see in the picture below.


Back on land, with my heart rate slowly spiraling down to normal and the terror ebbing, we set off to find a diner location and a stiff drink.



With another opportunity to play a featured favourite travel game - the Tunnel Game.
Rules: As a tunnel approaches, take a few last breathes.
Just before entering the tunnel take a DEEP breath and hold it.
The aim of the game is to hold your breath for the entire length of the tunnel.
The winner is the one who holds their breath for the longest.

Let me give you a visual representation of the game.

The tunnel approaches - get ready!

Take a deep breath!


Hold that breath,


keep holding that breath.



On the other side of the tunnel


EXHALE!


We finished off our evening with dinner at a random restaurant in San Francisco - where neither of us knew what any of the food on the menu was - turned out our choices were really good.

Then we headed off to the airport, which is a whole other story, you won't want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment