Saturday, November 27, 2010

The turkey virgin diaries entry 3 - Thanksgiving Day.

It was finally here Thursday, the pressure was on, not only was it my first Thanksgiving ever where I was required to cook, but this was the first thing I've ever roasted.


To spare you more turkey washing pictures I'm just going to describe the process.
1 - take the Turkey out of the brine and rinse it off under cold running water with Justin helping out and commenting, "That smells like my kind of turkey."
2 - Pat the turkey dry (this makes complete sense this time, cant be cooking a wet bird)
3 - Baste the turkey (olive oil, butter, herbs/spices, garlic)


3 - Stuff the Turkey, a cornbread based stuffing, made from scratch with Kathleen's amazing secret family recipe that I've been privileged to see and use.


Cover exposed stuffing with foil, (I ended up making a foil tent)
Cook the turkey for 2 hours at 375'F (I think or it was 475'F)


Voila, it is ready, the juicy stuffing in the middle and the dried out baked stuffing on the outside, to make it look picture perfect and tasty crispy and juicy on the outside and moist on the inside.  The turkey was cooked breast side down to keep the breast juicy, which worked amazingly.


Just before the cooking process was over, I admitted defeat in the form of exhaustion, see the blog below for the sordid details that accompanied the turkey making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment