Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The turkey virgin diaries entry 2 - defrosted, brined and prep.

Please note these photos are explicit sensitive viewers should leave the room or just close the tab.

This morning my tasks were laid out a head of me - the most important one pertains to the central element of Thanksgiving besides giving thanks, the turkey.  So here I stood bringing 4 cups of water to a boil.  Please note an American cup is smaller than a Metric cup, the American cup comes in at a meer 240ml, where as the Metric cup out 'masses' it by a whopping 10ml, thats right it measures up at 250ml!  Why the discrepancy I don't know.  But I thought it necessary to share this information with you.  I might stand corrected as I'm basing this on the new Ikea measuring cups, so it might be the Swedish measurement error as opposed to American, in which case I apologise ahead of time.

Boiling my water I added enough salt to the pot to the water to rival the bouncy of the Dead Sea.  Then to flavour it up some thyme, garlic and lemon juice amongst other herbs that I cant recall at this time.


So the brine is ready, now to wash the turkey, rinse it off with running cold water.




Then to dry the turkey off with paper towel, this part did confuse me, I'll explain why in a minute.



...and then place it in a HUGE brining bag and cover with the WET salty spice flavoured water I'd concocted...


and then some how manage to tie up the bag.


Place in the fridge for 24 hours and we're ready to go, tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment